Search This Blog

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Thoughts from the road

I have been on the road now for almost two weeks. Last week, I was in Nashville for the HSUS conference, learning lots of new ideas and techniques for our shelter.. The last 2 days I have been in Denver to  bring the little puppy named Goat up for her heart procedure ( full update on Goat will be in this blog, and on our website tomorrow ). Needless to say I am ready for some time back at home, and back at LPCHS. Before I hit the road this morning, I just wanted to share a couple of thoughts with you.

First of all, last weekend two of our longtime residents at LPCHS were adopted. Gigi the hound mix, and Millie the shep mix. These dogs were both at the shelter for months. They were both older dogs, and a bit rough around the edges. Millie had the added issue of being surrendered with her sister Marley ( who is still at the shelter if your interested ), and many people wont adopt a dog if they think it is being seperated from a family member. There is nothing super remarkable about either adoption. What is remarkable, is the amount of feedback I have received about there adoptions, from multiple people. I received several emails and  a phone call or two from supporters who wanted to say how great it was that these dogs are finally in their forever homes. While I appreciate this, I feel as though I must pass on the good thoughts. The real people who deserve credit for this is the staff of the shelter, and all the volunteers who have worked with these dogs. Each and every day the staff took care of theses girls, and every day many dog walkers would get them out for some time in the sun. These folks are the unsung heroes at our shelter, working hard to find new homes for the many dogs and cats who come to our shelter.

Next, Id like to send out a congratulations to the staff of Farmington Animal Shelter. These guys are really making a big turn around for the animals of San Juan County. Last weekend, they held a Mothers Day cat adoption event. It was a smashing success. In all they adopted out 32 cats, and 7 dogs for the weekend. We have been helping these guys with transfers, and a little training, and I know how hard they are working to make changes and improve the lives of the animals in their care. Great job FAS, All your hard work is paying off.

1 comment:

  1. I want to work at the Farmington Animal Shelter when I get Brooklyn into child care! No guarantees of course, but I'm gonna try my hardest to get in there, or get involved even as a volunteer. I went there on Sunday afternoon to try to get a kitten for Mother's Day, and was shocked but pleased to find out that they had adopted every single one of their kittens. They didn't have a single one available! Great to know the Shelter here had such a successful weekend and that so many animals found a home. :)

    ReplyDelete