Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Reflecting on 10 years

Last Month I celebrated my tenth anniversary of coming to work for  LPCHS. I'm happy and proud to say that Ive never worked anyplace else this long. The fact is, that I love this place. When I came here, I had no intention of staying more than a year or so. I certainly didn't think Id make a career of it, but that is what it has become. Even more than that, it has gotten in my blood, it is a passion. Im not sure when or how it happened, but somewhere along the line, it did.

Over these ten years, there have been many laughs, and lots of tears, and probably a few words spoken that are not fit for print. Overall the journey has been a great experience. The best part, has been watching the changes that have been made here at our shelter. We have gone from barely keeping our heads above water, to the premiere shelter in the region. We have made euthanizing animals for space, a distant memory. We started a low cost spay/neuter program that has reduced our intake by over 10% in the past 18 months. We have transferred out over 800 dogs through the Petsmart Charities Rescue Waggin program, where they have gone to Boulder to be adopted. We have gone from having just a few foster homes, to well over a hundred. These changes and others, have been tough, but the end results have been so worth the effort, especially for the animals in our care.

To wrap up id like to walk down memory lane a bit, and mention some of the animals and people who have made my time here so great.

Lets start with he dogs. There was Radar, Wing nut, Sarge, and Calvin, German Shepherds all of them, and special for many reasons. Who can forget the mighty Khan, an Anatolian who ruled the roost around here for quite a while. There was Brutis, and Knuckles, and Vinny the Nose. Gila, Pepsi, Paco, Okie, and Bucket. Who can forget big ol Buster, and Old Red, and the notorious little Wagman.

 If you know me, than you know I am  a dog guy by heart, but there have been lots of cats that have stuck in my memory. At the top of the list would be none other than Tilly. She was an 18 pound white cat whose attitude was less than stellar. One day I discovered that Tilly loved nothing more in life than playing ping pong. Every morning for the next 3 months, we would bat the ping pong ball around the room until she was adopted. There was Samurai, And Chester both large orange tabby's. I remember Snizzlefritz, and Fat Jack as well as Leo, Monster and my old friend Cosmo.

 As for the people, there are to many to mention all, without leaving some out. Instead I will just say thanks for the memories and all your support. Here is to ten more years, I cant wait to see what we've accomplished in 2022.
 

1 comment:

  1. Saw this link from Selina -- great work!
    Having moved away right when we were on the (frustrating) verge of going from the old ways to new, I'm thrilled to hear things are going so well.

    Thinking about Radar & Sarge slinking around you in the conference room, "helping" with cat tests, learning their German commands... brings back memories.

    Still often consider moving back to Durango :)

    -- Jessica Provost

    ReplyDelete